The growth of the mobile internet and converged services is creating new challenges related to the use and protection of people’s personal information. This three-week course investigates the current state of mobile privacy, highlights research into consumer attitudes towards their privacy and examines current and emerging regulations around the world. The course also reviews the GSMA’s universal Mobile Privacy Principles, Privacy Design Guidelines for app developers and industry initiatives that give consumers more control over how their information is used.
- Understand the facets of mobile privacy, data protection and consumer trust.
- Consider the role of mobile operators, internet content providers and consumers in respecting and protecting the privacy of consumers.
- Discover how regulation can be applied effectively to protect consumer privacy in a converged world.
Who should attend this course?
- Individuals who have recently moved into a regulatory position and need to gain a broad understanding of privacy and the impacts it has on digital products and services.
- Regulatory or legal professionals who have not previously dealt with privacy issues, but need to quickly gain a solid understanding of the topic in the context of mobile telecoms.
- Entry and mid-level engineering staff who need to understand the policy and regulatory aspects of privacy.
The benefits for you and your organisation
- You will learn about the key concepts and definitions associated with privacy and data protection law.
- You will understand the requirements for ensuring the security and integrity of networks and services.
- You will have new insights into how policymakers across the world are rethinking privacy regulation.
- You will gain a solid understanding of efforts to promote data anonymisation and pseudonymisation.
Course structure and study time
The course consists of four sessions as outlined in the course agenda. You will gain access to all of these sessions at the start of the course and you can work through them at your own pace, making it easy to fit your learning around work, family or personal commitments. Each session uses compelling visuals, clear audio commentary and lots of interactive elements to keep you engaged as you learn. You can also revisit topics at any point throughout the course to refresh your knowledge. At the end of each session there is a short, multiple choice quiz, to test that you have retained the knowledge you have learned during the session. You will need to pass this quiz in other to move on to the next session.
During the course, there are four live video chat sessions with the course trainer where you have the opportunity to ask questions about the content of the course. Additionally, you can ask the course trainer questions on the course forum and use the forum to exchange knowledge with other students.
It should take you no more than two to three hours of study time per week to finish the course in six weeks. You will have, however, an additional three weeks to complete it, so the course will be open to you for a total of six weeks. If you decide to submit a final project, it is likely to take you four to six hours to put it together. You can submit the final project at any point during the six weeks that the course is open to you.
To find out more about our user-friendly learning platform, please watch the video below.
Course completion certificates
To qualify for a course completion certificate, you must view all the course sessions and correctly answer all the multiple choice quiz questions you will find as you progress through the sessions. You will also need to fill out the course survey to give us feedback on your experience on the course.
You do not have to complete a final project to earn a course completion certificate but we strongly encourage you to create one. Putting together a final project will give you an opportunity to reflect on the principles covered during the course and help you discover how they could be applied to your own work. If you submit a final project the course trainer will provide you with valuable feedback that you may find useful in your day-to-day job.
If you have any additional questions about this course, please do get in touch.Enrol on this course
To register your interest in purchasing and attending this course the next time it is scheduled, please click here.
If you are interested in booking ten or more places on a course, please click here to contact us about our group bookings offer.
Andrea is partnerships and delivery manager for the GSMA’s Capacity Building programme. Based in Santiago, Chile, Andrea manages the GSMA Capacity Building online training courses delivery to regulators and policy makers worldwide and leads capacity building partnerships with the World Bank, ITU, among others. She holds a Master’s degree in Linguistics, a Bachelor’s degree in Education in English from the University of Santiago of Chile, a Diploma in International Relations, and a Diploma in Women and Global Public Policy from the University of Chile.