The mobile industry is embarking on the transition to fifth generation (5G) technology, which builds on the achievements of 4G while also creating new opportunities for innovation. 5G is ushering in a new era that will see connectivity become increasingly fluid and flexible.
This four-week course covers the key aspects of 5G technology and examines the roles that industry, governments and regulators can play in helping unlock the benefits of future 5G services for consumers and businesses.
- Learn about the underlying technologies and concepts associated with 5G.
- Discover the key differences between 5G and previous generations of mobile technology.
- Understand the role operators, governments and regulators play in helping accelerate the development of 5G technology and services in their countries.
Who should attend this course?
- Experienced regulatory or legal professionals who want to gain a broad understanding of the technology, policy and regulatory issues associated with 5G.
- Individuals who have recently moved into a regulatory position and need to quickly get up to speed on technical and regulator topics associated with 5G.
- Entry and mid-level engineering staff who understand many of the technical aspects of 5G, but need to gain knowledge of how policy and regulation may affect the development of 5G technologies and services in the future.
Who should attend this course?
- You will learn about the technology that makes 5G different from previous generations of mobile technology
- You will understand how 5G will impact business models in the telecoms industry
- You will gain detailed knowledge of how 5G networks are being deployed and the benefits and limitations of different deployment options
- You will have new insights into 5G and electromagnetic fields and the latest research into this topic
- You will gain a solid understanding of the policy and regulatory considerations associated with 5G technology and services
Course structure and study time
The course consists of four sessions as outlined in the course agenda. You will gain access to all of these sessions at the start of the course and you can work through them at your own pace, making it easy to fit your learning around work, family or personal commitments. Each session uses compelling visuals, clear audio commentary and lots of interactive elements to keep you engaged as you learn. You can also revisit topics at any point throughout the course to refresh your knowledge. At the end of each session there is a short, multiple choice quiz, to test that you have retained the knowledge you have learned during the session. You will need to pass this quiz in other to move on to the next session.
During the course, there are four live video chat sessions with the course trainer where you have the opportunity to ask questions about the content of the course. Additionally, you can ask the course trainer questions on the course forum and use the forum to exchange knowledge with other students.
It should take you no more than two to three hours of study time per week to finish the course in four weeks. You will have, however, an additional three weeks to complete it, so the course will be open to you for a total of seven weeks. If you decide to submit a final project, it is likely to take you four to six hours to put it together. You can submit the final project at any point during the seven weeks that the course is open to you.
Course completion certificates
To qualify for a course completion certificate, you must view all the course sessions and correctly answer all the multiple choice quiz questions you will find as you progress through the sessions. You will also need to fill out the course survey to give us feedback on your experience on the course.
You do not have to complete a final project to earn a course completion certificate but we strongly encourage you to create one. Putting together a final project will give you an opportunity to reflect on the principles covered during the course and help you discover how they could be applied to your own work. If you submit a final project the course trainer will provide you with valuable feedback that you may find useful in your day-to-day job.Enrol on this course
Dr. Jyrki Penttinen is Senior Technology Director at GSMA North America. He has worked on mobile telecommunications in Finland, Spain, Mexico and the USA. His past employers include Telia Sonera, Nokia and G+D Mobile Security Americas. He is experienced in research and operational activities such as planning, optimisation, measurements, system architectures and services. Since 2014, he has focused on security solutions and developing industry trends. At present, he assists operator members with the adoption, design, development and deployment of GSMA specifications and programmes. He has also authored books on 5G and other telecommunication technologies, the latest publications being the 5G User’s Guide, 5G Simplified and 5G Explained.